Thursday, April 11, 2013

News and Chili

So hi, it's been a while!  It's been nearly a year since I updated this thing-- and every time, I say I'll be better about updating, so really, who knows.

I've started a new job at River Cafe (not the one in New York), so I've been cooking a lot more, overall.  Mostly a LOT of sandwiches, because that's primarily what we serve, but also side dishes and breakfast burritos and I've actually learned to be pretty decent at making coffee drinks, which I suppose is a good skill to have, for all that I don't actually like coffee.

I've been experimenting at home with the crock pot more than I used to (which is to say, not at all), so tonight's recipe comes out of that.  My sister-in-law is gluten-free, so we've been doing a lot more wheat-free meals; we had this with cornbread made from a Gluten-Free Pantry mix (available here), which is deliciously buttery.  I had mine with strawberry jam I canned last summer-- we're just starting to get strawberries here, and I'm looking forward to making another batch of it soon.

Chili

1 can each pinto, black, and kidney beans (you can also cook these yourself from dry beans, but I didn't have time do do so).
2 tbsp. oil
1 small red onion, diced
3-6 minced cloves garlic, depending on how much you like it.
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. ground beef
2 chorizo sausages (about 1 lb. of meat-- I split the casings and just used the meat; you could also slice them once they're cooked)
1 12-oz. can tomatoes (or about 3-5 medium tomatoes, pretty much any variety)

Drain the beans of most of their liquid-- you will want some remaining (about 1/2 c.)  In a slow cooker set to low, combine the beans and stir together.  Cover and let warm.  (You could also do this in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over low heat.)

Heat the oil in a medium or large saucepan over medium heat; once it's warm, add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, and pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are translucent, then add the ground beef and the chorizo.  Break up the meat and cook until it's no longer pink, then add the can of tomatoes.  Stir to combine, then add all of the meat/onions/etc. to the slow cooker.

Combine all ingredients and turn the slow-cooker up to high for an hour.  Turn to low and let cook for another hour.

Serves 8 (more if you're not super hungry, less if you are!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment