Friday, December 31, 2010

DDC, Week Three: Shepherd's Pie

Memo to self: don't cook when you're exhausted.

This one took way longer than it should have-- both to prep/cook, and to decide on. My younger brother (and housemate) works at New Leaf, which is where I picked up most of the ingredients for this. I wandered around the store one night for about half an hour, trying to figure out what I wanted to make. At the meat department, my choices were fairly limited: the beef was from Humboldt, but everything else was out of state. Humboldt isn't exactly within my 150-mile radius, but it is, at least, in the same half of the state as I am. I'd been wanting to make shepherd's pie for a while, so I decided to go for that-- I picked up potatoes, carrots, parsnips (thank you, New Leaf, for labeling the origins of your produce!) and cheddar cheese, then went home to cook. Overall, it went fine, but I wish I'd had a bit more time to think and plan this one.

...for one thing, if I'd planned, I would have remembered that I actually had some local ground beef in my freezer. So this ended up an imperfect meal, but a tasty one.

No comments:

Post a Comment