Friday, December 31, 2010

DDC, Week Four: Game Hen and Vegetables

Cooking for myself this week-- no siblings, no housemates (although I hope they will help with the leftovers!).

One of my co-workers alerted me to a place to get local poultry (yay!), so I decided to see what I could find in stores. While I couldn't find chicken (my original plan), I did find cornish game hens at New Leaf. Because I was cooking for myself, I only had to pick up one-- a good thing, considering that Christmas shopping left me if not broke, then at least depleted in funds. I am incredibly pleased with the way this turned out, though, so I will likely cook it again later in the year.

Game hen: Farm to Family
Butter: Strauss
Parsley: SC Downtown farmer's market (given to me by a friend; I don't know exactly where it came from)
Potatoes, golden beets, chiogga beets, parsnips, carrots: New Leaf (all local farms, but I didn't write down specifically which ones)
Turnips: Happy Boy Farms
Olive oil: Bariani
Salt: Eatwell Farms
Pepper: exception

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I am a fellow Dark Days Santa Cruz participant...what is this local poultry I hear of? We moved up here this summer and I've found out about Surfside Chickens, but only got one and once our stock of TLC meat is gone I don't know what to do!! Please share

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember off the top of my head (and I can't find it searching online-- agh!), but I got it at the westside New Leaf. I'll check next time I'm there.

    Also, hello fellow Santa Cruzan! How are you finding things?

    ReplyDelete